Saturday, October 15, 2011

What's happening to the world?

Everyday, different times, different situations ... this question keeps coming back to me. I am sure there will be at-least a few like me out there who would be thinking the same. This post is for them, and this will be the smallest (and probably one very important) reply to this mammoth question.

On October the 13th, like any other day (and for reasons I am still trying to comprehend) I opened my newspaper. I was generally going through the pages and it was no different from any newspaper I have read in the past one month. When I reached page # 11, which is the 'op-ed page' in the Indian Express terminology, I paused for a while and read the headlines and sub-headlines of the three articles on this page. Well, these three headlines and their sub-headlines are posted below:



1) The closing of our minds
Removing the A.K. Ramanujam essay from the Delhi University history reading list is a sorry compromise with intolerance - and a rejection of the spirit of academic inquiry.

2) Just another ordinary week
Except on Indian TV, no week is really that ordinary

3) The credibility of the government is its lowest since independence.



Well the articles of this page dealt with Education, Media and Government (in India) - three very important pillars of society and the articles brought back the big question to mind. I thought over it, everything looked so doomed, I was dejected, so I flipped on to the Economist page (one of the best feature of Indian Express and it deals with world at large) of the day's paper and the headline said:

A crisis carol
Things are starting to look depressingly familiar

3 comments:

  1. Hmm.. I know what you are saying. I was depressed by all these things last year. So much so, that I dont read newspapers these days. Many of my friends have termed this as stupid. But I really dont see the value of getting depressed every day.
    That was last year. Not that I now "know" whats happening to the world. But I have found peace in my detachment with my existence in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) became a cynic far too soon to worry about these things mate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the club of the disenchanted, disillusioned people. The change of values that is sweeping the society is too disturbing, but can't do anything about it...

    ReplyDelete