Monday, September 20, 2010

This rat might fly...


It was a much needed break from the material city life. Material city life? Yes, that is what I meant to say. These days I think about it a lot and I really wonder if I am in the rat race as well? There is no doubt I am in the race. I have a job, EMI, tax return file, resume on naukri.com, responsibilities which I am procrastinating, credit card and my (many) aspirations.

On this ride I met this German guy at Toni Da Dhaba, Kamshet. He came in riding on his Royal Enfield Electra, and he had the world’s largest backpack on his back. After a critical analysis of his motor-cycle, my eyes went to his backpack. And they couldn’t move. Is he a new generation of hippie who travels with luxuries? Someone who has his entire wardrobe with him including his cuff links, perfumes and hangers. I was wondering what can possibly be in that huge bag.Is he a rat with a backpack?

Your bikes are lot cleaner than mine” he said with a smile. He was fair (off course he got a table first, though we were there before him in waiting list), he was almost 6”2 (I bet anything smaller couldn’t carry that bag) and he had a face of a kid. I smiled back. Then a conversation followed, which I won’t be able to forget in times to come.

I smiled back and said “Yeah. Hello. Where are you from?” Though, I actually wanted to say ‘Yeah. What’s in that bag dude?’

Hello. I am from Germany and I have been living in India for two years now.”

“Wow. Two years? Where all have you been riding?”

He smiled “not much. I have been living here

“What do you do here?”

I fly”. He answered simply, as if it’s a no big deal at all.

Then it struck me like lighting. Kamshet is known for Para-gliding and it must be his gear in that bag.

I asked “Para-gliding?”

He smiled “Yup

I threw the big question now “and is that your gear in that bag?”

He said “Yup.” He added “But we might just move on from here.

“We? Who is we here?” Though I knew it will be his hippie friends.

Me, my wife and my two kids” he answered.

I was surprised. He sure belongs to some different genre. “That’s nice” is all I could say.

My wife is an Indian. She doesn’t want to go to Germany because it will be too cold for her. So we have decided to move to Spain. She thinks she will like it.” He tells me in a matter of fact way.

“She also flies here?” I asked, thinking how lucky his wife actually is.

No. She runs a guest house here. “By this time he was all set with his gear on his Electra. He was about to leave. Another question came to my mind.

“What will you do in Spain?”

He laughed. A child-like carefree laugh. “Don’t ask me that”. He kicks his Electra. “I will live” smiles, waves and rides to Kamshet.

Those last two words just stuck on me. I kept thinking and thinking about it. Some people indeed have their life, purpose and family sorted out.

I have things which I am passionate about and I follow these passions to the best of my ability. Rats do not follow passions, I believe. And there are certain other characteristics of rats that I don’t comply with. So maybe I am a different kind of rat - A rat who is not too interested in the cat and mouse thing. But then it leads me to an entirely new set of questions. Questions, fuck-ups, dilemma, pressures and more questions … what will I do about it?

The very next moment, visual of that German on his motor-cycle comes to my mind. Kicks off, waves, says “I will live.” and rides off ...


P.S. : 'The Departed' is one of my favourite films. Every time I hear the word 'rat', The Departed comes to my mind.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such an experience. Such powerful and sorted words to describe how one will deal with the unseen spread in-front, leaves with no words to counter the affirmative. Grand Thought..Profound.. *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know there is a difference that seperates You ( read 'us') from the German - he is German. he is white. (remember how he got the seat first , in the dhaba). I dont mean to sound racist, i am not, but our society is.

    thats not all, he also lives for a country which will feed him and clothe him and house him, even if he does nothing. in india thats not true. in india its first a fight for survival and then for luxury. Basic psychology - the Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Supriya : Thanks :) The clarity in his answer stuck me too.

    @ Shashank : Yeah, I know what you saying. It is right and its true. I haven't come across such passion for life in a long time ... so it just got stuck on my mind. It's his vision and clarity of thought, that I loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gets me thinking too.. I too have most of the things that would qualify me to be a rat...am in a huge credit card debt..I aspire for a better paying job and god knows, I also aspire for an Executive MBA which would drag me further into the race.. but am not racing.. I haven't stopped living.. I still value relationships more than my job.. infact, my job has given me more friends for life than bonuses or increments.. I agree with Shashank to an extent... we live in a country, where living has a different definition.. we are a new generation with radical thinking...and think about it.. we are getting to live our passions..we indeed are living our life.. at least right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To start... Nicely worded... and of course... thought provoking...! loved the way he said it, "I will live!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year I met a girl from Netherlands who comes down to India almost every alternate summer to travel and probably might have seen more of this country than myself.
    Why does she do it?
    A): She loves India and its colours which is completely understandable for a person who comes from a cold gray country.
    B): Its a cultural thing there to travel and venture out in summers (they come from the continent of the greatest travelers this world has seen). India is a feasible option as its very cheap. Staying without a job there during that time would be way more expensive.
    C): Hedonism. As a society, saving in their values as much as we have. They almost live their life on short term planning. Family structure is not like that you have to take care of your parents (state will do that), nor does families get formed on the basis of your bank balances and your job profile (arranged marriage is all about that).

    There are a lot of socio-cultural, and mainly economic reason which allows people to go beyond the rat-race specially in this country. It might not be as much of a practical hurdle than a mental one. And then ofcourse there is the entire concept of what you give importance to. If you have car,home,education loans, life insurance and medical insurance premiums and multiple credit card bills to pay... then your risk taking capacity(if i may call it) goes down tremendously.

    I have none of the above mentioned constraints, and luckily I don't have to send money home to take care of my parents (who are leading a comfortable life) which has allowed me to not have a job and try and do what i really want to do. I consider myself lucky to be able to do that... but why is it then that my parents still feel awkward (and sometimes ashamed) to tell their relatives and contacts that I am a free bird, A freelance artist. It beats me. Its almost like society accepts you more if you are one of the rats happily doing nine to five without complaining. The middle class of this country is too afraid to think beyond a house, a job and a car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uba Bhai...chinta mat kar...you have many years ahead of you...and you would achieve your dreams for sure...its just that be realistic about them...I also met many such Germans in Ladakh with a similar phlosophy towards life and I completely agree with what Shashank said and just to add our genes are different...no two races can be alike...

    so chill and live your life in a relaxed way...dont worry too mucgh about the rats because in the end all rats get gobbled up by the cats or they die due to Rat Poison anyways !!!

    plus explain the relationship between Departed and Rats...Pardon me for my ignorance as I havent watched that movie as yet...

    Keep writing...

    Cheers...
    Che

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely written Devesh!
    It is sad but true that its easier to simply 'live' in the west. In India, you need to work on that living, which means you hardly 'live'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Rohit : Thanks so much for visiting and your comment mate. That's exactly what I wanted to put across :)

    @ Samir : "my job has given me more friends for life than bonuses or increments" ??? What kind of company are you working for man :D
    Thanks for the comment dude. Let's meet on the road soon. :)


    @ Hemant : That was a nice comment. Well written, I agree to all that you have said. The best one was "It might not be as much of a practical hurdle than a mental one". It's so true mate.

    @ Che : Thanks Che for reading and your comment. :) It's tough for me to explain the rat thing here, because I don't want to spoil the film for you. 'The Departed' is a must watch. It is an Academy Award winning film, and to me its pretty close to 'perfect film'.
    Aap film dekh lo, and I am sure you will understand. It has however, nothing to do with the idea in blog :)

    @ Kirti : I know. But this entry was never about East Vs West :) Like Hemant rightly said "It might not be as much of a practical hurdle than a mental one". Btw long time no see ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. btfull specially back of ur mind questions....
    good for inspiration and shows age, responsibility and should never affect....passion..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who would know better than you the company for which I work :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully written..:)

    "I will Live" dis 3 words have got me thinking too...

    ReplyDelete